Fear and anxiety cause about thirty to fifty percent of all people to avoid dental care, leading to serious dental problems, pain, and other health problems. Sedation dentistry helps you relax and can increase the efficacy of local anesthesia, without requiring general anesthesia. Dr. Rader offers sedation dentistry to his patients to make the experience as pleasant and anxiety-free as possible.
Dental care does not have to be painful or frightening. Sedation dentistry puts you into a relaxed state. In this state, the local anesthesia we use to numb the area is more effective.
Anxiety and fear cause unnecessary pain.
Fear and anxiety cause you to tense up and strain during the procedure. When you do this you will experience sore muscles and pain from the tension that may not be related to the dental work itself. Sedation dentistry prevents this extra, unneeded pain.
Sedation dentistry uses oral sedatives to help you relax, and can be used in conjunction with nitrous oxide. You will need someone to drive you to and from your office visit.
- We will give you a mild sedative to take the night before your procedure to prevent anxiety
- You must avoid eating on the morning of your procedure
- When you arrive we will provide oral sedatives appropriate for the length and extensiveness of the procedure
- You will be partially awake and breathing on your own during the procedure, some patients are so relaxed they actually fall asleep
- Do not drive for 24 hours
Most patients have no memory of their procedure. Whether you have had a previous bad experience or are simply fearful of having one, sedation dentistry can help you get past your fear, and get back on track with your dental care.